Frequently Asked Questions

What service does CDPAP offer?

CDPAP provides home-care services to individuals with the need for help with daily living activities.

What are CDPAP home-care services?

CDPAP allows individuals or designated representatives to choose his or her own Personal Assistant.

Who qualifies as a Personal Assistant?

The Personal Assistant can be a sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin, neighbor, friend, grandparent, etc.  The assistant can be also be a parent if the child is older than 21. In order to be an assistant you must also be 18 years of age or older.

May family members serve as Personal Assistants?

As a general rule, yes. However, spouses may not serve as personal assistants. All other family members are eligible.

Do Personal Assistants require a special license or certification?


Who’s eligible to receive CDPAP home-care services?

An individual who:

  • Is medicaid eligible.
  • Requires medical assistance and long term care services.
  • Is self-directing or has a designated representative.

What is the process to switch from straight Medicaid to a Medicaid managed care plan?

Call New York Medicaid Choice at 800-505-5678, and request to be switched to your preferred plan. You can also call CDPAPdirect and they will help you get set up under the right program.

What if I do not have Medicaid?

You must have Medicaid and be eligible for home care services to qualify for CDPAP. You may contact your county Department of Social Services or Human Services (DSS) or your Managed Care Organization or your Managed Long Term Care Organization to express your interest in CDPAP.

Who trains the Personal Assistant?

The individual (or parent/designated representative) trains the Personal Assistant.

There are times I need to stay in the hospital.  Can my Personal Assistant still work for me when I’m in the hospital?

No. If you are admitted to the hospital, your assistant is not allowed to work for you, unless you choose to pay them privately. If Medicaid is already paying for your hospital care, they will not pay for your assistant to work for you while you are in the hospital.

How does a Personal Assistant differ from a Home Health Aide?

A Home Health Aide is hired by a home care agency and must take a training program designated by the home care agency (under approval of the New York State Department of Health or the New York State Education Department). Additionally, they need to work with the agency’s schedule. The Personal Assistant receives training from the individual (or parent/designated representative) specific to the individual’s needs, and works on a more flexible schedule.

Hire Your Own Caregiver

Patients can hire a caregiver they know and trust, even a close family relative.

Family Caregivers Get $

Unpaid family caregivers can get paid for their time and services.

No Certification Needed

No certification or training required, so anyone can get started right away.

Greater Control Over Care

Hiring your own caregiver gives you greater control over the quality of care.

More Freedom in Care

Personal assistants are allowed to administer skilled services such as wound care.

Consumer Directed

CDPAP requires minimal interaction with home care agencies.

Download the CDPAP guide
in PDF form