If you are hiring a friend or relative you may choose not to check references. However, before you make a decision about hiring a stranger be sure to check each applicant’s references. Checking references will be the best opportunity to find out more about the applicant’s work ethic and personality.
- Call former employers if possible as listed on their application.
- Look carefully at how long they were employed at each place.
- Ask former employers if the applicant worked there and the dates worked.
- Ask each reference any question you like, but keep in mind they do not have to legally answer all your questions.
- Ask about their work qualities.
- Ask about their personality and how well they got along with clients and co-workers.
- If work references are not available, check personal references.
- Contact the applicant for more references if necessary.