Back-up assistants are substitutes you can call in the event your regular assistant cannot work. Your back-up assistant(s) can be used when your attendant is on vacation, ill, or quits without notice. It is highly suggested to keep a list of four or five back-up assistants to guarantee help when you need it.
It is a good idea to keep track of potential back-up assistants during the initial hiring process. You may decide to hire one full-time personal assistant, while offering part-time or fill-in opportunities to other candidates.
You can find back-up assistants in several ways. Whichever method you choose, it helps to have a phone list of substitutes within reach in time of an emergency fill-in.
- Keep names and numbers of applicants as back-ups.
- Friends, neighbors, and eligible family members can be on standby to fill-in.
- Request that your assistant find their own replacement when unable to work.
- Hire two assistants on a split-schedule.
- One for weekdays.
- One for weekends and shared holidays.